Thursday, October 4, 2012

Taco Tuesday

Turkey Taco Salad


Admit it, who doesn't love a taco salad? I know I do and I also know, that probably like you, I am very picky about how it's prepared. Quite possibly my favorite part about taco salad is that it taste like it should be bad for you when in fact (or at least prepared my way) it's not. That and the fact that it is a super quick, easy and filling meal to make. This week, we had a friend over for dinner who brought along with her a new addition to Taco Tuesday, one we hadn't had before and may need to repeat: multigrain taco bowls! These babies added a little oomph and are a great substitute for tortilla chips. As I said, everyone has their own version of taco salad and certainly their own guacamole recipe, which brings me to my next point. I don't make guac. In fact, I've only made guac once in my life. The bf is the guac chef in our household and he refuses to give out his recipe (trust me, it is that good). So friends, I am sorry to report that you will have to go elsewhere for a guac recipe or buy it pre-made (which if you do, Whole Foods has a decent one). This recipe served four. Hope you enjoy! Bon appetit!


Ingredients*:
  • 1lb ground turkey
  • 1 packet Ortega taco seasoning
  • 1-2 cups shredded Romaine lettuce
  • 1 can fat-free refried beans (you will have a lot leftover)
  • low-fat shredded Mexican-style cheese
  • 1/4 cup Tostitos salsa con queso
  • 1/8 cup jalapeno peppers
  • 1/4 cup guacamole
  • salsa (optional)
  • sour cream (optional)
  • Rio Rancho Tostada Bowls (can substitute with tortilla chips) 
*Note that these ingredients are for 4 servings

Preheat oven to 350. Brown turkey in a pan on medium heat. Once turkey has browned, drain and add 3/4 cup water and Ortega seasoning packet. Cook until seasoning has thickened and coated turkey. 

While turkey is browning, shred lettuce, heat beans and salsa con queso. Take this time to pull out other taco condiments and set-up your taco bar. 

Once turkey has finished, place tostada bowls on a cookie sheet in the oven for 2-3 minutes.

Pull bowls from oven and create your taco salad! I typically place lettuce first, followed by meat, beans, cheese, jalapenos and guac (I don't do tomatoes, salsa or sour cream). However you pile it on, it is bound to taste delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment