Wednesday, October 3, 2012

On the Heartier Side

Quinoa & Squash Salad

with Raisins & Walnuts


If you read my last  post, then you'll remember that this was the week of catch-up on what was a rainy Sunday. Wanting a salad that would warm my insides, I grabbed the box of quinoa that I had been sitting in my cabinet staring me in the face for months, hoping to create something yummy with an ingredient I've only ever used once before. Turns out, I did! Even the boyfriend liked it which is saying a lot ;). Hope that you find this salad just as tasty and satisfying in this cool, fall weather as we did. And this dish, like most of my recipes, makes enough for about a week's worth of leftovers. Bon appetit!

P.S.- Sorry about the pic; bad lighting. 

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup quinoa (I used Ancient Harvest Inca Red)
  • 1-2 cups butternut squash, cubed
  • 1-2 cups fresh spinach
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup walnuts
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • salt to taste.
Heat oven to 400. Spray baking dish with non-stick spray. Cube butternut squash and place in baking dish. Place 4 pats of butter or 2 tsp olive oil over squash and sprinkle with salt. Cover baking dish with foil, and cook in the oven for 1 hour (or until squash is cooked thoroughly. Set aside to cool (I actually cooked the squash the night before and put it in the fridge to cool overnight)

Cook quinoa as directed on box. Set aside to cool. 

Once ingredients have cooled, in a large bowl, combine quinoa, squash, spinach, raisins and walnuts. Drizzle olive oil over the dish. Add salt to taste. Mix well. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment