Friday, October 26, 2012

Roasted Butternut Squash & Arugula Salad

Roasted Butternut Squash & Arugula Salad

w/ Chevre, Pepitas & Dried Cranberries


I hit a wall this week on salad ideas. I started thinking that perhaps I should have expanded to include non-salad dishes on this blog, but, well... too late. Knowing I was in need of a little inspiration, a dear friend suggested I incorporate pumpkin. Great idea, I thought! However, given life this week, I did not have the energy to skin, gut and cut up a sugar pumpkin, and couldn't find pre-cut cubes anywhere (if you know somewhere to get this, please leave a comment!). After explaining my dilemma to another good friend of mine and fellow healthy eater, she shared with me a salad recipe for inspiration. And boy oh boy did it inspire! I totally used their roasted squash recipe and changed up most of the other ingredients (aside from the pumpkin seeds). This salad was phenom and super easy to make. I can't recommend it enough. Hope you enjoy! Bon appetit!


Ingredients*:
  • 1 package cubed butternut squash 
  • 4 Tbsp olive oil
  • ½ tsp paprika
  • ½ tsp kosher salt
  • ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • ¼ cup roasted pumpkin seeds
  • 4 cups baby arugula
  • 1/3 cup dried cranberries
  • 2oz goat cheese
  • 3Tbsp balsamic vinegar
Heat oven to 375°F. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss squash, 2 Tbsp oil, paprika, salt, and pepper and spread out evenly. Roast 40 minutes, stirring halfway through, until squash is tender and starting to caramelize. Remove from oven and let cool.
In a large mixing bowl combine arugula, cranberries, pumpkin seeds, balsamic & remaining oil. Toss until evenly coated. Plate salad mixture and top with goat cheese (1oz per plate) and squash. Voila!
*Serves 2-4

No comments:

Post a Comment