Monday, February 4, 2013

Jicama, Avocado & Sauteed Shrimp Salad

Jicama, Avocado & Sauteed Shrimp Salad

with Walnuts in a Citrus Vinaigrette


I love the word jicama. I like writing it, I like saying it and I LOVE using it as an ingredient in salads. It had been a crazy week for us and by Friday night not only was I exhausted but I was starving by the time I got home from the gym. I knew this was going to most likely be the case, so I had prepped this salad before heading out the door leaving only the sauteing and plating to do when I returned. After a brutal workout, my body was in desperate need of fresh foods and vitamins. It was also Feb 1st and a number of us have decided to really focus on clean eating for the month of Feb, mainly to wash out all that holiday indulgence. Anyway, I made the salad and boy was it good! It was simple, clean, delish and FAST. Perfect too-tired-to-cook dinns. I highly recommend it as we really enjoyed this one. Hope you do too! Bon appetit!



Ingredients*:
  • 4 cups spring mix greens
  • 16 medium count deveined & peeled shrimp, raw (no idea what a real serving size is but I was HUNGRY)
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 1/4 jicama, peeled & sliced
  • 4 tsp walnuts
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 4 Tbsp citrus champagne vinegar
  • 2 tsp Adobo seasoning, with pepper
  • 1/8 cup fat free chicken broth
  • 2 sl Meyer lemon (optional)
  • salt & pepper to taste
*Serves 2
 
Peel and slice jicama into thin strips. Set aside. 

Spray a medium sauce pan with non-stick spray. Once heated add shrimp, Adobo & chicken broth (you can substitute water here if you like). Let shrimp cook until done, stirring occasionally.

While shrimp cooks toss greens in olive oil, vinegar, salt & pepper. Plate. Top greens with jicama. Slice avocado and add to plate. Remove shrimp from stove, add to plate. Top with walnuts and serve with slice of lemon. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment