Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Curried Chicken Salad - The Healthy Way

Curried Chicken Salad 

with Grapes, Walnuts & Celery


As most of you who live in New England know, it gets harder and harder to find fresh greens this time of year. I mean even the kale is looking pretty bad which is saying something. So I figured it was a good opportunity to make some non-green based salads. (Be prepared, there may be a few of these in the next couple weeks) I absolutely love chicken salad, but always feel a bit gross after eating it cause of all the mayo. So, I decided to give an alternative recipe a shot. I really had no idea what I was doing, and mixed & measured until I came up with the taste and consistency I liked. It is super simple, super healthy and packed with protein. I had it a few different ways on a couple different days (the recipe below makes enough for like a week's worth of meals- perf for bringing lunch to work!). The picture below is served over romaine hearts, avocado & red pepper slices, however I also had it in a whole wheat pita, over mixed greens and on its own as a pre-gym snack. It turned out to be super yummy and something I will def be making again. Hope you enjoy! Bon appetit!


Ingredients:
  • 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked
  • 3 celery stalks, chopped
  • 1 cup red grapes, sliced in half
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/2 lemon, juiced
  • 6-12oz non-fat Greek yogurt (more yogurt = creamier)
  • 1 Tbsp curry powder
  • salt & pepper to taste
Cook chicken breasts in a pan or oven, unseasoned. While chicken is cooking slice celery and grapes, and measure other ingredients. Once chicken is cooked, set aside and let cool.

Dice chicken into 1/2 in chunks. Place all ingredients in a large mixing bowl until fully mixed. Add salt & pepper to taste as you go. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment