Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Non-Burger Burger Salad

Sauteed Mushroom, Onion & Grass Fed Steak Salad

with Chevre & Slivered Almonds


I had been craving a burger for days. Usually I would have just satisfied this craving and had a burger, (yes people, I believe that if you crave something you should eat it otherwise if you're anything like me, you'll end up eating all sorts of others things that you don't actually want or need until you have that burger) but we had already been out for dinner once this week and I have another dinner date coming up before the week's out. I try to only eat out once a week (obvi this doesn't always happen) as I find that the weeks I don't I easily end up carrying around an extra pound or two. Knowing that this week eating out more than once was unavoidable, I tapped into what exactly about the burger I was craving. For those of you that don't know me, I eat my burger the same way every time if possible- sauteed mushrooms, onions (peppers on occasion), cheese, lettuce, banana peppers (if available) and Russian dressing. Delish, right? Yeah, I know. After thinking about this decadent burger I realized that what I wanted was the meat, and the creamy goodness of those sauteed veggies and cheese. So how to have that while still eating clean? The salad below spells it out nicely. It was super tasty, hit the spot, and killed the craving. Bon appetit!



Ingredients (serves 2):
  • 3-4 cups mixed greens
  • 1 grass fed top sirloin steak (or any other cut of lean steak)
  • 1/2 yellow onion, sliced into thin strips
  • 1/2 pkg baby bella mushrooms, pre-sliced
  • 1 oz soft goat cheese
  • 1 tsp slivered almonds
  • 1/4 cup vegetable broth
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tsp Bosari original seasoning
  • salt & pepper, to taste
Spray medium saucepan with non-stick spray. Add onions and let them sweat. Add mushrooms and vegetable broth. Stir occasionally until veggies are fully cooked. 

Set over to broiler on high temp. While veggies are cooking season steak, place on broiler pan, and pop into oven. Cook steak to desired temp (I like mine medium rare which was about 10min in the broiler plus rest time), pull from oven and let rest 5-10 minutes.

While steak & veggies cook, toss greens with olive oil in a large bowl. Plate greens.

Remove onions and mushrooms from pan and top greens with them. Crumble goat cheese on top of cooked veggies. Add almonds to the goat cheese. 

Once steak has rested, slice and plate with salad. Enjoy!
   

2 comments:

  1. I love salad too. I found this while searching for recipes with grass fed steak. I order steak salad when I'm dining out, but never think of making it at home. Now, I will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you came across the blog & will be trying the recipe! Please let me know how you like it & how it turns out. ~Dahlia

      Delete