Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Endive & Beet Salad

Endive and Beet Salad 

with Chevre & Almond Slivers

I only have one homemade salad dressing recipe. Perhaps this is because 1. it's only been recently that I ever followed any recipes (I don't bake), and; 2. it's the only salad dressing my mom ever made. Realizing I had yet to share my childhood Dijon vinaigrette, I brainstormed a salad that would really show it off and came up with this little gem. This is by far the easiest, least prep salad on the blog to date (or it is if you buy ready to eat beets like I did). It is also a salad that will not be to everyone's taste as many folks don't like beets, or endives for that matter. However, I adore these flavors and this made for a perfect lunch. I recommend chopping the salad for easier eating; the picture below was only for presentation, promise. Hope you enjoy as much as I did! Bon appetit!



Salad Ingredients:
  • 2 endive 
  • 2 baby beets (I used the Trader Joe's ready to eat & serve kind found in the refrigerated section)
  • 1 oz goat cheese (chevre)
  • 2 tsp slivered almonds, unsalted
Dressing Ingredients*:
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1/4 cup EVOO
  • 1 fl oz balsamic vinegar
  • 2 fl oz red wine vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
  • salt & pepper, to taste 
Dressing:
Separate egg yolk. Place yolk in bowl or jar. Add remaining ingredients to yolk. Whisk until blended, smooth and egg yolk & mustard are thoroughly dissolved.

Salad:
Remove outer leaves of endive if any are brown. Chop endive and beets, place in a salad bowl or plate. Add goat cheese and almonds. Drizzle with 2-3 tsp of vinaigrette. Add fresh ground pepper if desired. Enjoy!

*Recipe yields 1/2 cup of dressing. Use left overs in future salads!

No comments:

Post a Comment