Monday, January 14, 2013

Baby Kale & Blood Orange Salad

Baby Kale & Blood Orange Salad

with Shaved Fennel & Sheep's Milk Feta


Yes people, it's true, I am OBSESSED with kale. So much so that I want to eat it at almost every meal (which is killing the bf). I'm also obsessed with this salad. It was almost too good. Def one that I will be making time and again. Borrowed and reworked from a Bon Appetit recipe that a friend passed along (that one called for grapefruit & avocado with the kale), this is a new fav. I know that sheep's milk feta was used in the salad last week, but I have a lot left over and don't want it to go to waste. This salad could def go without the cheese altogether or goat cheese would be a nice substitute. I will also say that if you can't easily find blood orange infused olive oil, juice a couple of sections and mix it into some regular olive oil to get the flavor in the dressing. I served this with seared tuna (and whole wheat couscous for the man). All in all it was a hit. Hope you enjoy! Oh, and please pardon the unattractive looking fennel shavings- haven't gotten that technique down yet. Bon appetit! 



Ingredients:
  • 1-2 cups baby kale
  • 1 blood orange
  • 1/4 fennel bulb, shaved
  • 1-2oz sheep's milk feta
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp blood orange infused olive oil
  • salt & pepper to taste
Shave fennel and set aside. Peel and section blood orange. Slice sections in half and set aside. 

In a large mixing bowl toss all ingredients together. Plate and serve. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment