Friday, September 21, 2012

Broccoli, Salad?

Broccoli, Salad?


I've been asking myself lately, what exactly makes a salad a salad? Does a salad have to consist of leafy greens? Well no, because we have all had our fair share of pasta salads, fruit salads, potato salads and bean salads, right? I sure have. I've even heard of Jell-o salads (gross). So then, who gets to determine which dishes are deserving of the salad label and which dishes aren't? In a quest to answer my own question, I did what any other curious person would do- I turned to Google. It seems everyone and their mother has an opinion of what a salad is, and there seems to be no right or wrong definition. Therefore, I have decided that for the purposes of my Blog, anything goes. As long as it's mixed, it's a salad. So, with that being said, I hope all you broccoli lovers out there enjoy this one! I know that we did. Bon appetit!


In a large bowl mix the following:
  • 2 bags broccoli florets (yes, you can just buy a huge head or two of broccoli and do the work yourself, I'm just laxy)
  • 2-3 Tbsp olive oil (or enough to coat the broccoli)
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • salt and pepper 
Place mixture on a broiling pan, and place in oven at 400 degrees. Roast broccoli until cooked through and slightly crisped on top. Remove from oven and let cool. 

While broccoli is cooling: 
  • slice 1 cup of baby beets (you can also buy canned pre-sliced)
  • crumble 2-3 Tbsp Gorgonzola cheese
When broccoli has cooled to room temp, combine all ingredients in a large bowl. The oil from the broccoli will act as a dressing. Mix well and serve! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment