Friday, September 14, 2012

Warm Brussels Sprout Salad

Warm Brussels Sprouts Salad

with Apple, Raisins & Goat Gouda


I was at Trader Joe's last week (one of my all time fav places) and spotted a bag of shredded brussels sprouts. I happen to be a huge fan of brussels sprouts, but usually only buy the locally grown baby sprouts from Wilson Farm. Anywho, this bag of shaved sprouts got my attention and I began pondering how I could potentially use these guys in a salad. With the weather changing to cooler temps, and the grocery stores starting to fill with fall produce, I decided to take a stab at a brussels sprouts inspired salad. I have to be honest with you and say that this salad took two tries before getting it right (you'll notice that in the recipe below, the b. sprout is the only green used as I found fresh, baby spinach to be too overpowering the first time around). I think it's fair to say that this could just as easily be a side dish, but I served it as a salad and it was INCREDIBLY filling. Bon Appetit!



Spray medium skillet with non-stick spray or cooking oil spray, lightly coating the bottom of the pan. Once pan is heated, add the following:
  • 2 cups shredded brussels sprouts
  • 1 Tbsp roasted garlic olive oil
  • 1/4 raisins (I ran out from my previous recipe test and subbed in some dried cherries)
  • salt and pepper to taste
Sautee the b. sprouts until cooked through (they will turn a beautiful, bright green) and raisins have softened. Remove from stove top and place in broiler pan or other oven safe dish. Place b. sprout mixture under the broiler for 5min or until golden brown and slightly crispy. 

While the b. sprouts are broiling, cop up the following:
  • 1 Gala apple (or other crisp apple of your choosing)
  • 1-2oz goat Gouda 
Pull sprout mix out of the oven and plate. Top with apples and Gouda. Toss and serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment