Friday, July 27, 2012

A Twist on an All Time Fav

Greek Salad with a Twist

If you're like me and you do your grocery shopping over the weekend, eating almost every meal at home during the week, you know that the fridge is pretty bare come Thursday night. Mine certainly was this week! So, what's a girl to do when produce is low but craving a salad? Make do with what you got, and get creative with those ingredients!

I knew that I was going to be starving last night after a killer power yoga class followed by BPM class (which is a total conditioning class using nothing but your own body weight) at my fav gym soul.train. A Minda and Body Fitness Studio in Somerville, MA (seriously people, if you want to get in shape or just feel great in gen, check this place out!). So, I surveyed my fridge in advance and gave myself a base idea to run with when I got home. The outcome? A delish and healthier twist on a Greek-Bruschetta salad if I do say so myself! Hope you enjoy too, or are inspired to make your own version using end of the week goods in your house.


On a large plate, pile on the following:
  • 1 cup chopped romaine
  • 1 cup sliced cucumbers
  • 1/2 fresh avocado, sliced
Drizzle the above with balsamic vinegar, and sprinkle on salt & pepper to taste.
In a small mixing bowl, combine the following to create your bruschetta mix:
  • 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil chiffonade (chiffonade is just a fancy term for stacking the leaves of an herb, rolling them tightly, and then cutting across the rolled leaves with a sharp knife, producing fine ribbons)
  • 2oz feta cheese
  • 6 kalamata olives, pitted & sliced in half
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • salt & pepper to taste
Toss the ingredients in the mixing bowl until evenly coated in the oil. Top the salad plate with the bruschetta mix and, voila! Bon appetit!  

No comments:

Post a Comment