Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Pepper Steak Salad

I was craving pepper steak the other day (no idea why); the really delicious not-so-good-for-you kind that you get at a Chinese restaurant. I knew that if I caved, I would not only indulge in the pepper steak calories, but would also eat my fair share of dumplings, boneless spare ribs, scallion pancakes, or whatever other appetizers my boyfriend added to the delivery order. In an effort to avoid feeling like a fat pig (a.k.a. guilty), I honed in on what flavors/tastes I actually wanted and decided to design a healthier salad-version of the dish. 

I will say that this dish got mixed reviews. A girlfriend came over for dinner (and to watch So You Think You Can Dance, cause really, who isn't obsessed with that show?!). She and I loved the dish but my boyfriend...not so much (mind you he cleaned his plate anyway). I guess if you're not into spicy then this is not the recipe for you, however the pepper steak can of course be modified to satisfy any palate. I found the combination of spicy and citrus to be a good balance, one that didn't leave my mouth on fire. 

Since the jury is still out on this one, I would love to hear your feedback!

 


You will need a wok or large skillet for the pepper steak. On medium heat combine:
  • 1 Tbsp sesame oil
  • 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
Once the oil is hot add:
  • 2 cups thinly sliced red, orange & yellow peppers
  • 1 cup thinly sliced white onion
Cook peppers and onions until soft. Then add*:
  • 1.5lbs top sirloin steak tips (or other steak variety of your liking)
  • 1 Tbsp stir fry sauce (I use House of Tsang Saigon Sizzle for a little spice)
  • 1 Tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 Tbsp Hoisin sauce  
Cook until steak is cooked through to your liking (I prefer medium rare). Remove wok from burner and set aside.
 
In a large mixing bowl combine:
  • 1 package pre-washed mixed greens
  • 1 package shredded red cabbage (if shredding your own you will need about 2 cups)
  • 2 Tbsp citrus champagne vinegar 
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • salt & pepper to taste
Top tossed greens and cabbage with the pepper steak. Garnish with hot pepper flakes if desired. Serves 6. Enjoy!
 
*note: you can use any Asian cooking sauces you like for the pepper steak- I just happened to have these in my fridge.
 

1 comment: