Thursday, November 8, 2012

On the Saltier Side

Sauteed Shrimp & Mixed Olive Salad

with Ossau-Iraty Cheese


I'm not sure if it was the snow or my awesome training sesh, but something about yesterday had me craving a salty salad. I have to admit that I went to the store without a clue of what I was going to make, and dragged the bf with me (which was a wise choice seeing as the first three ideas didn't appeal to him as a dinner option) hoping to find inspiration at Whole Foods. Yes people I admit, I sometimes can't resist the overpriced produce and cheeses they offer and it seemed a better place to glean inspiration than say Shaw's. After aimlessly walking around the produce section for what felt like hours, I decided that the cheese counter was where I was going to start. My instinct was a good one as after tasting two cheeses, the idea for a salad emerged. The cheese used in this recipe is Ossau-Iraty, a raw sheep's milk cheese from the Basque region of France. It has a really nice nutty flavor to it which lent great balance to the salad. I will warn you, the salad as is is salty & tart, but both of those flavors can be modified by using different seasoning on the shrimp and a different dressing. Hope you enjoy, I know we did! Bon appetit! 



Ingredients:
  • 1-2 cups Spring Mix (or other mixed greens of choice)
  • 1oz Ossau-Iraty, cubed
  • 2-3 Alfonso olives
  • 2-4 Arbequina Spanish olives
  • 2-3 Castelvetrano olives
  • 2-4 Kalamata olives
  • 1/4 lb raw, de-veined shrimp
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/4-1/2 cup chicken broth or water
  • 1-2 Tbsp Goya Adobo seasoning
  • 1/2 lemon, juiced
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • pepper to taste
In a large sauteed pan, heat 1 Tbsp olive oil and minced garlic. Once heated add shrimp and sautee for 2-3min or until slightly pink. Add Adobo and chicken both or water and continue to sautee until fully cooked. While shrimp is cooking, combine all other ingredients in a large bowl, toss together until evenly coated and plate salad mixture. Place fully cooked shrimp on top of salad mixture. Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment